About Me & HRN


Here’s a quick “about me” - kind of what I’d like to accomplish in the near future and what my goals are for HRN. 

My name is Megan and I’ve been riding for over 15 years now.  I got my first horse almost 10 years ago and my second shortly after that.  I’ve still got Carbo but unfortunately couldn’t afford two horses and had to give my other one away.  I’ve spent a lot of time in the industry trying to figure out how I fit in because I’ve always known I want to work with horses, but have also always known that I wouldn’t be a trainer or a competitive rider, which kind of limited my options! 

About two years ago I was working with my then trainer, helping her sell some clients horses and at the same time, sifting through for-sale ads and trying to find some projects for her.  I was finding that I was spending a few hours each day on the internet trying to help this trainer out and I realized that this was insane!  Who has that much spare time to spend searching the internet? Especially among horse people? So I started thinking about what was missing from the sites I was visiting.  Then I started thinking about what I would do differently… and thus the idea for HRN was born!

I was lucky enough to get laid off September 2009 (I might not have felt lucky back then, but I do now).  This gave me the opportunity to spend more time on creating and developing HRN.  After a few (read: several) unsuccessful months of job hunting, I stumbled upon a government sponsored program – the Self Employment and Entrepreneur Development Society.  At the same time I also found the Canadian Youth Business Foundation (CYBF).  So I applied for entry to the SEEDS program and applied for a loan from CYBF, got lucky on both accounts and started SEEDS in September and received a loan from CYBF in October. Since then I’ve spent every waking hour thinking about HRN and how to improve upon my original ideas and hammering out the details with my brilliant web developer. 

My goals are for HRN to provide value to the Canadian horse community in a variety of different ways.  We’ll start by helping you buy and sell horses, market your businesses, and sell your horsey odds and ends.  I hope that HRN will be able to grow and develop into something much more – maybe we’ll have educational webinars, articles, interviews with professionals! Who knows?!  No matter what direction HRN takes, the underlying theme will always be towards providing value to the equestrian community by offering easy to use and intuitive services.

So, have I piqued your interest?! HRN is currently due to launch January 1, 2011.  We are already in the process of developing a unique and innovative service for people wanting to buy horses and hope to launch this in February.  Follow HRN on our social media sites (links are on the right side bar of the blog home page) for site updates as well as info on shows and events we’ll be attending, contests and prizes we’re plotting and much, much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment